mardi 5 juin 2012

Fieldtrip to Garlicky Greens!

Certain foods like to make their presence known.  Perhaps they are egotistical.  Garlic must be a haughty breed because it is already making its second appearance on my young blog.  This enemy of vampires is also one of those foods that fights back.  As my friend Dave would say, it is an "angry elf."  Like any number of strong smells, garlic will let me know that it is here to stay, at least for the next 24-48 hours as I smell it on my fingers and sometimes breath (bleh!).

In any case, I like to give some cloves a good Rachel Ray-inspired KAPOW! with the broad side of a fat knife just about every time I begin a new dish.  Then I add this palatable powerhouse to a skillet with onions (ZWEIBELN!) and olive/coconut oil, and we're off.   I must say that olive oil + onions cooking in a skillet is one of the best smells in the kitchen.

I want to also add that in my faux-veganness, I have tended to eat lots of beans, mostly white (cannellini) as well as black and red.  Beans like to fight back too... Eek!

While spending time away from home this June and yet continuing to cook somewhat, I have yet to learn the German words for Collard Greens or Kale.  I'm capitalizing them in retribution for all the years that I ignored their existence.  But here's to you, GC & K, you're making me feel better about myself every time I eat you!  PROST!

Perhaps not much to look at here, I am thankful for the hearty quality of Collard Greens & Kale which, unlike spinach, keep quite a bit of their volume and texture when cooked.  

Our other friend, Sweet Potato, joins in on this appetizing adventure.

1 commentaire:

  1. I'm blaming this blog and you for making me get distracted. Yes, olive oil + onions is one of the best smells in the kitchen. Period. Makes me mouth water just thinking about it.

    And, yes, garlic is an angry elf. Oh, Dave.

    RépondreSupprimer